Jeffrey W Horowitz, DMD, FAGD
The Functional Triad for Restorative Success
Foundational Principles for Comprehensive Diagnosis, Risk Reduction and Case Acceptance
We all have case failures. Most dentists blame materials and techniques while function is more often the culprit. Myths and misunderstandings about function have unknowingly kept many practitioners from achieving greater long-term success despite their inherent knowledge and skill. This lecture takes many of the current concepts in these somewhat confusing disciplines and organizes them in a way so that most practitioners can comfortably differentiate and manage occlusal disease, airway disease, muscle dysfunction and temporo-mandibular joint disorders. By incorporating these principles into diagnosis and treatment planning, dentists can expect better case acceptance along with better long-term outcomes.
- Focusing on diagnosis and prognosis versus treatment. (Risk Management).
- An appeal to end the “Camp Mentality” by understanding TMD / MFP as multi-factorial.
- Introduction to the Functional Triad.
- Understanding the Piper classifications of TM Joint conditions.
- The role of Imaging in comprehensive diagnosis of TM disorders.
- Understanding the multifactorial etiology of Myo-Facial Pain.
- Pain management techniques.
- Rationale for primary treatment and appliances.
- Materials selection.
- The Panadent Articulator, Kois Dento-Facial Analyzer & Facebow.
- A new look at the comprehensive examination.
- Interactive review of case.
- Phase-2 therapeutic options; Reductive, Additive and Positional.
- Comprehensive case presentation.
- Conclusion, Q & A.
Each course is 3 CE credits and will take place from 8:30 – 11:30am Monday – Friday.
Upon completion of this course, participants can expect to have gained knowledge on the following concepts;
- How to differentiate between iatrogenic, foundational and transient occlusal disorders.
- The use of diagnostic imaging and testing to aid in diagnosis.
- The role of the airway and skeletal patterns with regard to diagnosis and treatment.
- The appropriate treatment and sequencing based on etiology of the condition.
- Tips, tools and materials used within these disciplines.
- How to design examinations and treatment planning to facilitate case acceptance.
- Detailed Record Taking and interpretation.
- Verbiage and skills that will create committed patients.
Jeffrey W. Horowitz, D.M.D., F.A.G.D., D.A.S.B.A
Dr. Jeff Horowitz completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Pittsburgh and earned his dental degree from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. Upon graduation he completed a general practice residency at the Mountainside Hospital in Montclair, N.J. In 1992, Dr Horowitz founded the Carolina Center for Advanced Dentistry, a multi-disciplinary group practice in the Conway/Myrtle Beach, SC area. He is also the founder and clinical director for Advanced Sleep and TMJ Centers. His main interests include cosmetic smile rehabilitation, complex restorative cases, treatment of sleep disordered breathing, orthodontics and temporo-mandibular disorders.
An admitted C.E. “Junkie,” Dr Horowitz has earned fellowship from the Academy of General Dentistry where he is actively involved as a past-president and delegate for South Carolina. He also serves as a mentor and scientific advisor at the prestigious Kois Center in Seattle, a key opinion leader/lecturer for Catapult Education, and an instructor for Sleep Group Solutions. His affiliations include the Pierre Fauchard Academy, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the American Orthodontic Society, the Piper Study Group, American Association of Dental Sleep Medicine, American Sleep and Breathing Academy, and the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain. Dr. Horowitz lectures internationally, has been published in dental literature, and has contributed television news media reports.
Our 15 hour CE program is accredited by the New Jersey State Board of Dentistry. Credits usually transfer to other states and countries.
Catapult Education, LLC designates this activity for 15 continuing education credits. Catapult Education is an ADA CERP and Academy of General Dentistry PACE provider.
>Next – Planning Your Visit>